Diagnosed AuDHD a week'ish ago

Michaela

New member
Hi all. I'm looking for information, knowledge, understanding, & to connect with late-diagnosed women's groups.

To date I've just about achieved a veneer of 'capable' & nearly/mostly in 'control'... although often 'labelled' rather 'odd & chaotic'. And... then menopause happened... no doubt there's many who've been through a very similar experience.

Currently having some sort of new & rather 'burnt-out' life experience... bit of a rough 'rollercoaster' tbh.

Looking forward to finding relevant 'threads/groups/conversations' on here as I 'rootle' around & take a look at what's available.

Greetings & Hello fellow neuro peeps! 🌻
 
Hi all. I'm looking for information, knowledge, understanding, & to connect with late-diagnosed women's groups.

To date I've just about achieved a veneer of 'capable' & nearly/mostly in 'control'... although often 'labelled' rather 'odd & chaotic'. And... then menopause happened... no doubt there's many who've been through a very similar experience.

Currently having some sort of new & rather 'burnt-out' life experience... bit of a rough 'rollercoaster' tbh.

Looking forward to finding relevant 'threads/groups/conversations' on here as I 'rootle' around & take a look at what's available.

Greetings & Hello fellow neuro peeps! 🌻
Hi. Tin Man here,
I've also been late / recently diagnosed, and I was also hoping to find help and relevant threads and conversations, but unfortunately both have seemed to have evaded me. I've not even received a " hello " or " hi " when I introduced myself. The most relevant mentoring course isn't available at the moment, and looks like it was last updated March 2022. At the moment I'm doing my best to box away my mixed up emotions and try and exist how I've been doing for the last 52 years.

From what I have looked at so far on the mentoring courses, there does seem to be some solid helpful courses for females, especially in the relationship section, it's a pity there isn't for the male perspective too, as I think that my wife is considering a back garden burial for me at the moment with how I've been since my meltdown.

I sincerely wish you well, and hope you receive useful help and advice.

If you ever fancy a chat, I check up on here every couple of days or so.

Kind regards T.M.
 
Hi Tin Man... & THANK YOU for popping up for a chat... appreciate it! I'm also disappointed that it appears to be rather quiet on this message board. I rather thought at least an @ADMIN might have passed through & said 'hello'... hey-ho, I wonder if its all now happening on a Facebook group or something instead... I shall have to take a look?

I think my hubby may well share your wife's thoughts re "back-yard-burial". Since my 'unmasking' has coincided with a MAHOOSIVE chronic-health 'flare' it would unfortunately appear to have 'amplified' my 'burn-out' & 'evaporated' any remaining 'bandwidth'. He's very sensibly opting to keep his 'head-down' atm!!

I have to say I wasn't anywhere near as through at looking at the resource materials as you've been, (tbh I'm pacing myself, so as not too consider too much data in one go) but I'm nonetheless very pleased to share in the benefits of your findings.

Re: missing "male-perspective" relationship training... might be worth highlighting it in a specific thread... you never know you might be inundated with replies. I imagine NDSA have probably just been very effectively lobbied & it was something that was advocated for by a good number of women.

Historically neurodiversity has had a significant 'male-bias'... perhaps now you've spotted the omission this is a good one for you chaps to lobby/advocate' for (... although, not having done the course it might be more inclusive than it looks... perhaps it's just poorly titled... & not the single binary it appears, but instead covers all orientations)

Anyhoo, it's great to know someone noticed my post! Shall we be determinedly positive about our lack of responders & carry on regardless!?. Good to know you're 'out-there'. Keep talking & don't forget to RUN... if your wife ever heads to the bottom of the garden looking exceedingly resolute & carrying the spade šŸ˜‰
 
Hi . I have got quite a bit of knowledge around it all. Through lived experience, research through podcasts ,some jobs around mental health support and allsorts (Can you tell I had self advocacy coaching) (but still cringing at myself)
Anyway some things I say are repeated from what ive heard from others or some I just pure made up. But here goes. (Cring alert).
Well done to you all for getting this far. Whether you knew about it all or knew something wasn't right or normal or you just got told you were neurodiverse or think it. I did about 40 years riding a train on my own at 100mph everyone watching me go by I feel like every carriage was a chapter in my life . Anyway I feel like when it clicked that I was just... "bloomin brilliant" ! I felt like I.d reached the drivers cabin and seen all the controls .... but .... there are 100s of controls ! It's overwhelming !
This was a while ago now and I think now I have learned some of the controls ...they are still there they arent going away but knowing one or two feels like I have at least SOME control. I feel like I can look for the warning lights on the controls even this can be helpful.
Anyway if you are still reading this I could go on but i feel like you are seeing your controls and that in itself feels good.
Well done to anyone's partners because they must love you the way you are . They probably dont know how they do support you but telling them the good things they do and just laughing about things I feel is a good way .
My first podcast was the adhd adults their humour and knowledge around it is brilliant.
Alex Partridge from adhd chatter is brilliant it is very women biased but hey Ive learned alot about neurodiversity and women and it has helped my relationship...in fact my wife LOVES an information dump about what Karen Docherty has to say at 7am whilst getting everyone ready for school !
Also @Michaela the air mask idea/theory was something I heard. It is like whenbyou are in an aeroplane and they say if you are gonna crash make sure you put your mask on before anyone else's even your kids because if you dont and you faint with lack of oxygen you arent gonna help anybody ... put the mask on first . Look after yourself before youll be good enough to help others.
Another good one to think about is my bucket theory . We all carry a bucket around with us ...it has a few holes in but we sometimes have enough in our bucket to fill other people's buckets. In fact filling theirs may even make yours fuller . But sometimes we can waste time emptying ours to fill others who tip it out or move their bucket. We need to surround ourselves with people who want to fill our bucket . In a perfect world we.d all have enough in our buckets but sometimes we need a little help from ourselves or others to fill those holes up a bit .
Anyway have a good day sorry for the essay.
Dc666