Site Map
Donate
Home
About Us
Who we are
Our mission
Uniqueness of this organisation
The team
FAQ
What is the need
Forums
Featured
New posts
Trending
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Help!
About Autism
What autism is
A human look at autism
Theories of autism
Autism as a disability
Neurodiversity
Quality of life
Changing the narrative
Diagnosis
Just diagnosed
Diagnosis intro slides
Your right to a diagnostic assessment
Guidelines and resources
Waiting times
Good conversations
Employment
Employment as factor of QoL
Lived Experience
Equality Act
Disclosure
Definition of disability
Autism as a disability
Reasonable adjustments
Neurodiversity as talent
Good resources
Relationships
Women and girls
Advocacy
Priorities
Self Advocacy
Our Programmes
What we believe in
Language use
How to get involved
Featured advocacy threads
Mentoring/Courses
Login / Register
Become a mentor
Courses
Employment - Tool Up
Wellbeing - Pathway
Autism training
Blogs
Guest Blog
Diagnosis experience
Could I be autistic
The journey to diagnosis
After diagnosis
H McConachie on QoL
My experience with unemployment
Measuring quality of life of autistic people
Resources
The autistic enactivist
Worn out
Living for the heatwave
Parenting challenges
Idea fair
Log in
Register
What's new
Featured
New posts
Trending
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Home
Forums
Main category
Introduce yourself
Diagnosed AuDHD a week'ish ago
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="dc666" data-source="post: 17757" data-attributes="member: 12183"><p>Hi . I have got quite a bit of knowledge around it all. Through lived experience, research through podcasts ,some jobs around mental health support and allsorts (Can you tell I had self advocacy coaching) (but still cringing at myself) </p><p>Anyway some things I say are repeated from what ive heard from others or some I just pure made up. But here goes. (Cring alert).</p><p>Well done to you all for getting this far. Whether you knew about it all or knew something wasn't right or normal or you just got told you were neurodiverse or think it. I did about 40 years riding a train on my own at 100mph everyone watching me go by I feel like every carriage was a chapter in my life . Anyway I feel like when it clicked that I was just... "bloomin brilliant" ! I felt like I.d reached the drivers cabin and seen all the controls .... but .... there are 100s of controls ! It's overwhelming ! </p><p>This was a while ago now and I think now I have learned some of the controls ...they are still there they arent going away but knowing one or two feels like I have at least SOME control. I feel like I can look for the warning lights on the controls even this can be helpful.</p><p>Anyway if you are still reading this I could go on but i feel like you are seeing your controls and that in itself feels good. </p><p>Well done to anyone's partners because they must love you the way you are . They probably dont know how they do support you but telling them the good things they do and just laughing about things I feel is a good way .</p><p>My first podcast was the adhd adults their humour and knowledge around it is brilliant.</p><p>Alex Partridge from adhd chatter is brilliant it is very women biased but hey Ive learned alot about neurodiversity and women and it has helped my relationship...in fact my wife LOVES an information dump about what Karen Docherty has to say at 7am whilst getting everyone ready for school !</p><p>Also [USER=12096]@Michaela[/USER] the air mask idea/theory was something I heard. It is like whenbyou are in an aeroplane and they say if you are gonna crash make sure you put your mask on before anyone else's even your kids because if you dont and you faint with lack of oxygen you arent gonna help anybody ... put the mask on first . Look after yourself before youll be good enough to help others. </p><p>Another good one to think about is my bucket theory . We all carry a bucket around with us ...it has a few holes in but we sometimes have enough in our bucket to fill other people's buckets. In fact filling theirs may even make yours fuller . But sometimes we can waste time emptying ours to fill others who tip it out or move their bucket. We need to surround ourselves with people who want to fill our bucket . In a perfect world we.d all have enough in our buckets but sometimes we need a little help from ourselves or others to fill those holes up a bit .</p><p>Anyway have a good day sorry for the essay.</p><p>Dc666</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="dc666, post: 17757, member: 12183"] Hi . I have got quite a bit of knowledge around it all. Through lived experience, research through podcasts ,some jobs around mental health support and allsorts (Can you tell I had self advocacy coaching) (but still cringing at myself) Anyway some things I say are repeated from what ive heard from others or some I just pure made up. But here goes. (Cring alert). Well done to you all for getting this far. Whether you knew about it all or knew something wasn't right or normal or you just got told you were neurodiverse or think it. I did about 40 years riding a train on my own at 100mph everyone watching me go by I feel like every carriage was a chapter in my life . Anyway I feel like when it clicked that I was just... "bloomin brilliant" ! I felt like I.d reached the drivers cabin and seen all the controls .... but .... there are 100s of controls ! It's overwhelming ! This was a while ago now and I think now I have learned some of the controls ...they are still there they arent going away but knowing one or two feels like I have at least SOME control. I feel like I can look for the warning lights on the controls even this can be helpful. Anyway if you are still reading this I could go on but i feel like you are seeing your controls and that in itself feels good. Well done to anyone's partners because they must love you the way you are . They probably dont know how they do support you but telling them the good things they do and just laughing about things I feel is a good way . My first podcast was the adhd adults their humour and knowledge around it is brilliant. Alex Partridge from adhd chatter is brilliant it is very women biased but hey Ive learned alot about neurodiversity and women and it has helped my relationship...in fact my wife LOVES an information dump about what Karen Docherty has to say at 7am whilst getting everyone ready for school ! Also [USER=12096]@Michaela[/USER] the air mask idea/theory was something I heard. It is like whenbyou are in an aeroplane and they say if you are gonna crash make sure you put your mask on before anyone else's even your kids because if you dont and you faint with lack of oxygen you arent gonna help anybody ... put the mask on first . Look after yourself before youll be good enough to help others. Another good one to think about is my bucket theory . We all carry a bucket around with us ...it has a few holes in but we sometimes have enough in our bucket to fill other people's buckets. In fact filling theirs may even make yours fuller . But sometimes we can waste time emptying ours to fill others who tip it out or move their bucket. We need to surround ourselves with people who want to fill our bucket . In a perfect world we.d all have enough in our buckets but sometimes we need a little help from ourselves or others to fill those holes up a bit . Anyway have a good day sorry for the essay. Dc666 [/QUOTE]
Verification
Post reply
Home
Forums
Main category
Introduce yourself
Diagnosed AuDHD a week'ish ago
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
NDSA Sitemap
Contact us
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Linkedin
Home
Home page
About us
Forums
Help!
Advocacy
Blogs
Donate
Contact us
About Us
Who we are
Our mission
What is unique
What is the need
FAQ
The Team
Services
Contact us
Forums
Login
/
Register
Featured
New posts
Trending
What's new
Help!
What autism is
Diagnosis
Employment
Relationships
Just diagnosed
Women and girls
How we can help
About Autism
What austism is
A human picture
Theories of autism organisation
Autism as a disability
Neurodiversity
Quality of life
Changing the narrative
Diagnosis
Just diagnosed - now what?
Diagnosis introduction
Your right to an assessment
Guidelines and resources
Waiting times
Good conversations
Employment
Employment as a factor of QoL
Lived experience
Equality act
Disclosure
Definition of disability
Autism as disability
Reasonable adjustments
Neurodiversity as talent
Reasonable adjustments
Mentoring & Courses
Login
/
Register
Become a mentor
Courses
Employment - Tool Up
Wellbeing - Pathway
Autism Training
Services
Your Account