Sleep problems

Divergent

Hi everyone,
It's yet another night when I can't sleep. I have used everything I can think of:
- Sleeping tablets (but don't want to function on them so take rarely), hot drinks, yoga/ stretching, no late meals, CBD, Chinese mushroom extracts, brain dumps, pressure points, similar times for wake up and sleep time.
Has anyone done anything in a way that works? Because for the love of all the gods, I'm so exhausted and angry and exasperated, I could scream. It feels so frustrating, when you have put your efforts into something and it still brings no significant results. Please share, if you have any advice!

Hi everyone,
It's yet another night when I can't sleep. I have used everything I can think of:
- Sleeping tablets (but don't want to function on them so take rarely), hot drinks, yoga/ stretching, no late meals, CBD, Chinese mushroom extracts, brain dumps, pressure points, similar times for wake up and sleep time.
Has anyone done anything in a way that works? Because for the love of all the gods, I'm so exhausted and angry and exasperated, I could scream. It feels so frustrating, when you have put your efforts into something and it still brings no significant results. Please share, if you have any advice!
Hi, I suffer with insomnia badly. I have to resort to sleeping tablets which do help but leave me feeling like a zombie the next day. Have you tried any of the sleep/meditation apps? I use one called CALM & it really helps me. šŸ˜Š

All Sorted

Hi everyone,
I don't know if the link below will take you to the right place, but there's a conversation on the forum about this from April13 2020 It has links to articles and suggestions - apparently sleeping in one session through the night has only been a thing since the 1700s. We used to get up with sunrise, do various activities and then go to sleep again later. I know this certainly works for me when I can't sleep. If I lie there trying to sleep, I get anxious and all sorts of stresses and worries make my mind whizz. If I get up and do an activity that calms me (usually my favourite hobby) then after a couple of hours I feel tired and calm enough to sleep. I'll still be tired the following day and struggle at work because I didn't get enough sleep, but then I'm usually tired enough to go to sleep at a good time that evening and sleep better.
https://ndsa.uk/forum/threads/how-a...he-crisis-lets-support-each-other.51/post-576

Pastelbubble

Hi I have the same problem at the moment of sleeping and then waking up at stupid oclock in the morning.
I usually get up, have a drink and then read my book (its not usually for long) and then find I fall asleep again. It leaves me feeling tired most days and at the moment it is every night but I know that if I just lie there I will end up being up until I have to go to work.

I have tried all the journalling to get everything out of my head. Turning everything off etc before I try and go to sleep and also have a consistent bedtime routine.

Someone suggested that I was going to sleep too early? Could that be something that is the matter?
I have always had problems with sleep so anything to help would be great too. Except Lavender I have managed to become allergic to it!

Courgette

I used to have extremely poor sleep, it seemed to be a life long problem. Then I found the answer - my autism diagnosis. Typically I started reading everything I could lay my hands on and immediately honed in the trait of disliking change and a desire for sameness and routine. As I live on my own it was easy enough to start regimenting my daily routine. An almost non-existant social life meant no surprise invites or days/evenings out. I had always thought I was flexible and spontaneous but this turns out to be not true. Within a week or 10 days I started sleeping so much better and now my body is used to actually sleeping I can put my head down and go to sleep really quickly and stay asleep. So no pills, potions or other aides other than a boring life :)

OhIdontknow

Hi, from an insomniac writing at 00:20 am.

I've used melatonin 1mg, although not for long term. As far as I know, if you use melatonin long term your body stops making its own and starts relying on the oral melatonin. It should be ok for short term.

At the moment I use a combination of Kalms Night and 5-htp. Works pretty well for me. I also take valerian during the day.

I recently tried CBD and found myself getting very paranoid, much more so than from smoking a joint, as in with THC. I was sleepless, sick, not hungry and had a headache. I'll stick to the above combo.

I think one of the techniques that works for me is to not worry if you are not sleeping. Because the worrying certainly will not help you fall asleep. So if you find yourself awake you could just get up, read, write, watch something, listen to a podcast, etc.

Finally, have you contemplated that perhaps your body clock is not really prepared to sleep the proverbial 8 hours all at once? Here are a couple of articles explaining the concept of dorveille. Hope it helps

Last edited: