Personal Labels

Wyrd Owl

When responding to the question "Do you having a learning difficulty, disability or support needs",which catergory do people prefer or choose to use to identify themselves by ?

Asperger's Syndrome or Autism Spectrum Disorder ?

I ask because my preference would be to use the term Asperger's Syndrome because of the negative assocations other people make with the term 'Autism'.

I get upset with my parents when they choose to use the latter label. They fear that the Asperger's label would lead to me not being given appropriate support or understanding.

Some people choose not to use the term Aspeger's becuase of the associations with Dr Hans Asperger, and his supposed links to The Nazi Regime during the Second World War.

Am I justified in being upset with my parents over this ?

ProfessorWorm

When responding to the question "Do you having a learning difficulty, disability or support needs",which catergory do people prefer or choose to use to identify themselves by ?

I ask because my preference would be to use the term Asperger's Syndrome because of the negative assocations other people make with the term 'Autism'.

I get upset with my parents when they choose to use the latter label. They fear that the Asperger's label would lead to me not being given appropriate support or understanding.

Some people choose not to use the term Aspeger's becuase of the associations with Dr Hans Asperger, and his supposed links to The Nazi Regime during the Second World War.

You can use whatever term feels best, and it’s reasonable to expect others to use your preferred terms. I call myself autistic as I was diagnosed in the new framework (ASD with levels) and would be upset if someone started using Aspergers to describe me.

Pattern-chaser

My preference is for ASC (Condition) formally, or "autist" informally. I know others have different preferences, and that they're really important to them. I'm not too concerned; I am autistic/have autism.

Zobo

I'm new to this and have been diagnosed with "an ASC namely Asperger's Syndrome". So my consultant has labeled me "Aspergers" but I have a friend who "told me off" when I then referred to myself as "Autistic" as she says there is a lot of difference between Aspergers and Autism.
At work, I told them when I was going through the diagnostic process (I needed time off) and have simply told them that I'm Autistic because I thought they were more likely to understand that.
I am still trying to decide on which labels I will use and when - so any feedback from the forum is helpful!

Pattern-chaser

I'm new to this and have been diagnosed with "an ASC namely Asperger's Syndrome". So my consultant has labeled me "Aspergers" but I have a friend who "told me off" when I then referred to myself as "Autistic" as she says there is a lot of difference between Aspergers and Autism.
At work, I told them when I was going through the diagnostic process (I needed time off) and have simply told them that I'm Autistic because I thought they were more likely to understand that.
I am still trying to decide on which labels I will use and when - so any feedback from the forum is helpful!

"there is a lot of difference between Aspergers and Autism" - this is not how I heard it. Aspergers as a description has been dropped, for all kinds of reasons, but it is and remains part of the autism spectrum. They are NOT distinct conditions, or anything like that. For the future, you're probably best sticking with "autistic" or ASC, or whatever variant you prefer. There's nothing wrong with "Aspergers", if that's what you like, but it is being abandoned.

Peaby

"there is a lot of difference between Aspergers and Autism" - this is not how I heard it. Aspergers as a description has been dropped, for all kinds of reasons, but it is and remains part of the autism spectrum. They are NOT distinct conditions, or anything like that. For the future, you're probably best sticking with "autistic" or ASC, or whatever variant you prefer. There's nothing wrong with "Aspergers", if that's what you like, but it is being abandoned.
I agree. It is a spectrum disorder.

LED

You can choose what ever you want but Asperger’s is no longer a recognised term in psychology for High Functioning ASD so technically no longer exists because of his links to the Nazi medical experimentation program in WW2.

I prefer Autism or ASD because of the association with the Nazis and the realisation that hundreds of people/children like me were tortured to define the term Asperger’s. But that’s my preference. I would prefer a more specific term for High Functioning ASD to better define it but it will do.

If you want it to be referred to as Asperger’s your parents should respect your wishes but you should also have understanding as why they may not like that term too.