How Do You Feel About Animals?

DepictDave

I love animals, which I think is a common autistic trait. We often find it easier to bond with animals over humans. I think there's an expectation with humans that we have to all understand each other, but with animals that's not the case because we're different species. That makes it easier, as well as the fact that there are obvious signs that animals give you. For example, if a dog bounds up to you wagging its tale you know how it's feeling and probably what it wants. I always wanted to be an RSPCA inspector when I was growing up, but that never happened.

Who else loves animals? Did you have any long-term animal-based ambitions like I did?

ThatWenchYas

Yep, I definitely feel the same way DepictDave.
Many a time in the past (and even sometimes now) I still find it difficult to 'break the ice' with people and sometimes end up not knowing what to say, and then have to endure the awkward silence that follows. I l love animals, and especially dogs, because they are so loyal and provide us with so much unconditional love, more than most humans are capable of giving- there's definitely a reason why they're known as man's best friend!

A few years ago, when I was still trying to work out what I wanted to do with my life, I wanted to study to become a veterinary nurse, and I even ended up doing some work experience at a vet surgery, but that never came to pass.

DepictDave

A few years ago, when I was still trying to work out what I wanted to do with my life, I wanted to study to become a veterinary nurse, and I even ended up doing some work experience at a vet surgery, but that never came to pass.

That's a shame. A bit like me studying Animal Management for 4 years then never actually working with animals lol. A veterinary nurse is a great thing to do, but I bet it's tough!

ProfessorWorm

Personally, I’m the other way. Cannot get on with most animals, especially dogs. I do have a soft spot for cats and some of them seem quite keen on me. I don’t do any better with humans so I’m sort of relegated to novels for social interaction and the few people I’ve managed to build relationships with.
I do however have a deep and immense love for microbial life, viruses and even prions. I find the patterns, the ease of interacting with them, the ease of understanding their behavior and the cause, their innate beauty to fill most of the roles animals fill for others. And my long term ambition is to make a career out of studying them.
I don’t suppose this particular love is specific to me?

DepictDave

That's really interesting. I used to be good at Biochemistry & Microbiology when I was at college, but that was years and years ago, and I've forgotten a lot from my days in education.

Thunderchild

I have two cat's. I don't mind dogs, I grew up with them too but they are a lot of work. I like the independence of cats and prefer an animal that sticks around because it wants to. My cat's see to sense that someone is autistic. They, particularly her are wary of new people but don't seem to be bothered at all by autistic people and will be all over them.

harveypaul

Scientists believe that the major source of people's positive reactions to pets comes from oxytocin, a hormone whose many functions include stimulating social bonding, relaxation and trust, and easing stress. Currently i'm reading the book named as the "Animal" Horn many early hornbooks were made by printing letters onto paper or vellum (animal skin) – both expensive materials at the time. To protect them, the letters were covered with a layer of animal horn like cow horns, sheep, goat etc so thin that it was see-through. This horn was fixed to a wooden or leather base, which was known as a hornbook. Sometimes the ‘books’ were made from metal, ivory, or bone like this one, but they still kept the same name. Some were even baked out of gingerbread to tempt children to ‘swallow what they read'
51Bdd9WSuTL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

DaraSix16

I love dogs and other animals and I moved to a farm & livery yard in 2019 where the ratio of 4 leggers to 2 leggers is on average 10-1, it's great. I honestly can't be without animal company even when the dog stinks the place out, which he does on the reg