Hi and good grief!!

Scary Clare

Scary Clare with purple hair
Hi I am Clare from Swansea and have just closed the browser 3 times attempting to post this 😂

I am 46 and was diagnosed with autism last March but then lockdown happened leaving me in limbo. I now know I am an autistic adult but I don't know how to be an autistic adult.

I only realised while battling to get my daughter diagnosed that I was the poster child for autism and ADHD. It answered why I have always felt like a square peg in a round hole and am a complete disaster at adulting!

Margot

Administrator
Hello Claire, welcome.. For me it was the same. I was diagnosed at 45. My daughter was undergoing diagnosis and I realised that I might be autistic too. I was diagnosed by the same consultant. I am struggling withadulting but learned to be ind to myself 😂

Scary Clare

It's a relief to be getting back to a level of normal structure and routine but I am completely frazzled from lockdown, blended learning which was a complete disaster and an extra long summer holiday with no break at all for me to recharge. I need to try and dedicate some time to myself but I usually end up at the bottom of a never ending very long list!

lindsayc12

Oh coincidence you are also from Swansea

I got my diagnosis quite by accident after asking the mental health team in orchard Street for help with stress anxiety and depression then I get the ooh we don't deal with autistic people

Margot

Administrator
I need to try and dedicate some time to myself but I usually end up at the bottom of a never ending very long list!
OMG, this summarises so succinctly what I do to myself. I keep going and going until I burn out. I haven't had a holiday for 4 years and last two years I just keep going 7/7. Great to chat with you both.

Scary Clare

I find even holidays aren't that relaxing as it still requires cooking, cleaning and being a Mum. It's just a change of scenery and if I am using my folding caravan a smaller space!

Scary Clare

I got my diagnosis quite by accident after asking the mental health team in orchard Street for help with stress anxiety and depression then I get the ooh we don't deal with autistic people
I am from Borehamwood in Hertfordshire originally but come November I will have lived here for 25 years. I was 21 when we moved so have been here longer than there!

DaraSix16

Hi Claire, just wanted to pop up to big up the ADHD x Autism team! I struggle with the whole adulting thing also - its quite dull and convoluted not engaging at all 🙃

Scary Clare

I was referred to the Integrated Autism Service at Tonna Hospital in Neath for my autism diagnosis