Hello from 2 parents that want to help their son..

LjS18KaH

My partners adult son (20) was diagnosed with Asperges 3 years ago and depression 4 years ago. The diagnoses was when he was at college. He struggled making friend and keeping friends along with communicating in social circles.
After college he became very vacant, he doesn’t have many friends if any. He has never had a job and didn’t go on to university. He said that he found it too difficult and was too anxious.
He was on the waiting list for CBT and counselling through the NHS for atleast 2 years when he was then offered the help he insistent that this was Impossible for him, he needed to interact face to face. He was scheduled to attend these sessions in Cirencester (25 miles from our home) We had asked for these session to be where we live so my partner or myself could attend with him to start with until he felt comfortable to attend alone. They couldn’t arrange anyone in our home town so was put back on the waiting list. When Covid first started he was offered over the phone session but he was adamant he couldn’t cope with over the phone session and it needed to be face to face. We explained to him about CBT, he agreed to do video call as long as my partner (his mum was with him). When we then went to arrange this for him he then declined the help.
He is currently going through a stage Of speaking over social media (Snapchat, Facebook, hoop) to multiple woman and has met some. Our concern with this is he is now sending and receiving multiple pictures daily that he is paying for. He appears to jump from relationship to relationship. He seems to get into relationships with girls that either have mental health issues (some have expressed self harm and suicide) or girls that are troubled. He has told us he is lonely unless he is in a relationship.
He will also sleep all day not get up until between 2pm-6pm sometimes as late 730pm and not help around the house. And when challenged he can become aggressive and sarcastic. We have tried to explain to him about a routine without using the words routine. So small things we leave him to do while we are working ie. putting the recycling out, hover, bring his washing down. To try to get him up and into a routine. He used to love designing cartoons or drawing in general so we have also Encourage he gets up to do that as he enjoys it but he doesn’t. We will still return home 10-12 hours late with him in bed. The only thing he seems to want to do is speak to girls and stay up all night.
This is starting to take its toll on his younger brother, mum and myself. Our youngest is 16 so he is starting to become a young man. They were always so close but now the youngest is flying and leaving our eldest behind. Our youngest has always know about the diagnosis and always been amazing and including J. But it’s got to the point where our youngest is fed up and doesn’t want to give J the time of day. It’s extremely difficult as we love him to bits but his behaviour cannot continue. He tells his younger brother he doesn’t care that he sleeps in doesn’t care he doesn’t have a job and just shrugs it off when we try to speak to him

We always offer to be there for him to speak to face to face or even through tx or notes if he were to find it easier but he appears to shut us out and is more interested in either sleeping all day or talking to unknown girls.
We just want to help our son.

Many Thanks

Rechnin

Hello, I wish there was something I could do to help, but, I see a little of myself in what you have put there about your eldest (?) son. I would encourage you to get him help sooner rather than later. I didn't and it has led me to the place I am now. As parents, at least you are there to support him. best thing is, in my view, to keep pushing to set up a structure.

I spend most of my time communicating online and I am 44 and single, it not good thing and can be helped but you might need to push a little.

Ian

ProfessorWorm

It sounds like he’s spiraling badly. If he feels lonely and shut out of the world I would try to help him build healthy relationships with people in real life rather than his current string of girls. There are dating apps he could try, like Hinge which have a good reputation for leading to long-term relationships, or he could try in person. You should also make sure he actually feels welcome in his family and loved by you. He may feel that he is so unlovable he needs to pay for affection, which is an agonizing thing to believe about yourself. That is something I would focus on combating with or without CBT in place. I would focus on finding him help in a way that is actually accessible to him, avoid blaming him for the fact that all the offers made have been inaccessible to him, and see if he’s open to trying medications to help manage this. I would also see if you can arrange a general physical with his GP, just to rule out physical causes for this.

If you’re asking him rather than informing him of his chores/your expectations that may also play a role. I’m never going to say yes if someone asks if I would like to hoover but I’m willing to do it. I just need someone to explain clearly that this is an expectation. I would make it clear, kindly, that you expect him to do a few things as long as he lives with you like chores/cooking/job searching/training if feasible. Offer to help him make a schedule, and make sure what you’re asking him to do is something that he can do without significant discomfort.

Pattern-chaser

That is something I would focus on combating with or without CBT in place.

After my diagnosis, I tried counselling, and they offered CBT. But CBT is structured to help you get rid of specific things like habits, and that wasn't what I needed. Then the therapist told me that CBT isn't much good for autists.... I don't know if it will help your son, but for me, it was not helpful.

Just passing on my own experience. Good luck to you and your son!

Rechnin

After my diagnosis, I tried counselling, and they offered CBT. But CBT is structured to help you get rid of specific things like habits, and that wasn't what I needed. Then the therapist told me that CBT isn't much good for autists.... I don't know if it will help your son, but for me, it was not helpful.

Just passing on my own experience. Good luck to you and your son!

Interesting, I just started CBT an am finiding it only partically useful, I an self-diagnosed as Auistic at this point.

ProfessorWorm

I did CBT in combination with EMDR and a couple non-specific trauma and mindfulness therapies to help cope with anxiety, emotional dysregulation and meltdowns which worked great. But it was run by a specialty autism clinic who practiced autistic acceptance and informed consent with all their patients. And I had a therapist who had spent most of her career working with ND and disabled people in various capacities.

Just CBT with a different therapist, whose background was not in ND patients, was useless. I felt like I didn’t have a say, it was cold and clinical and prone to minimizing my issues and a bit prone to gaslighting.

Laurie Morgen

Experienced mentor in HE/FE.
Nobody else seems to have raised this yet so here goes. If your son is paying someone to send photos, it's very likely he's being exploited. There's no guarantee this person is genuine, female or even exists. You can bet your life this person is also milking money from others. It really makes me angry when people exploit the vulnerable. If this particular aspect of your post is hard to bring up, there's plenty of information out there on staying safe online. It's worth checking he names here: https://romancescam.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1 to if your son's friend is one of them. He won't like the idea of being caught out but nobody does.

LjS18KaH

Nobody else seems to have raised this yet so here goes. If your son is paying someone to send photos, it's very likely he's being exploited. There's no guarantee this person is genuine, female or even exists. You can bet your life this person is also milking money from others. It really makes me angry when people exploit the vulnerable. If this particular aspect of your post is hard to bring up, there's plenty of information out there on staying safe online. It's worth checking he names here: https://romancescam.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1 to if your son's friend is one of them. He won't like the idea of being caught out but nobody does.

LjS18KaH

He seems to speak to his brother more about girls, so his brother has asked him discreetly who he’s messaging he opens up a little bit doesn’t divulge who exactly he’s speaking to. The only reason we know he is paying money for photos is because his brother caught him looking at photos of girls and has also caught him in the act if you know what I mean. The youngest has then looked through his phone purely because this is so not like him at all to be extremely personal with another.
I had also got him a space on the tool up programme online he declined it. He will not take any help
My partner mainly but also myself are now going through a horrific time in waiting to see if she potential has lung cancer so right now he is running riot with anything he likes. But currently we have more important things to worry about than him being in bed all day. It’s come to the point if he doesn’t want our help we just have to wait till he wants to help himself