Hair twiddling help

14aaa

Hi I’m 51 and just starting to be dx with autism.
does anyone have recommendations on how to stop fiddling with your hair? I tend to have it pulled and pinned back but people say it looks too severe. Is there anything else I could do?

OhIdontknow

Hi, is there any particular reason why you would want to stop this stim? I do it all the time when I'm sitting at the computer. I believe that apart from self-regulation, playing with your hair helps distribute its natural oils around the strands, so unless you find that it gets too oily or something, why stop yourself?

There are different kinds of sensory toys, and things that aren't toys but that are good for stimming. It's a matter of finding what works for you, as in what you find pleasant and which adapts to the situation you are in. My latest favourite is those hair bands that look like old phone cables. At home we both have pica, so a few chewing toys are always lying around along with pencils, a wooden spoon, Rubiks cube, exercise ball. You don't need to buy expensive toys either. First check what things you tend to fiddle with and have them handy for when the need arises. Or you could colour, knit, doodle, etc.

Hope it helps.

14aaa

Hi, is there any particular reason why you would want to stop this stim? I do it all the time when I'm sitting at the computer. I believe that apart from self-regulation, playing with your hair helps distribute its natural oils around the strands, so unless you find that it gets too oily or something, why stop yourself?

There are different kinds of sensory toys, and things that aren't toys but that are good for stimming. It's a matter of finding what works for you, as in what you find pleasant and which adapts to the situation you are in. My latest favourite is those hair bands that look like old phone cables. At home we both have pica, so a few chewing toys are always lying around along with pencils, a wooden spoon, Rubiks cube, exercise ball. You don't need to buy expensive toys either. First check what things you tend to fiddle with and have them handy for when the need arises. Or you could colour, knit, doodle, etc.

Hope it helps.
Thank you. People say it’s irritating and it does annoy me too. I’ve ended up wearing my hair long and tied up all the time but I’ve just had it cut short as people say I don’t look so severe with short hair. I’m thinking of getting a tassel to play with.