Autistic strengths

I came across a few attempts to focus on strengths, but is usually doesn't get much further than attention to detail and hyper-focus. We don't normally describe having really strong arms as the key strength of wheelchair users, so why focusing on 'symptoms'.
Can we have a serious discussion on really powerful autistic strengths? What are your strengths?

Attachments

• 583 autistic strengths human brain umpulse.jpg
    583 autistic strengths human brain umpulse.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 7

Pattern-chaser

When one practises the flexibility of thought that you are admiring (and I am agreeing with), one is sometimes seen to be somewhat lax. Especially by philosophers on the forums I frequent. No, I don't want anyone to think my thinking is lax. I would like them to recognise that it is flexible, and consequently I am able to see new ways of doing or using things, exactly as you suggest we should.

Margot

Administrator
Philosophers...
If one look at the definition of 'lax': 'not sufficiently strict, severe, or careful'.
The word does not apply to thinking. Thinking can't be strict, severe or careful. If it were it would be rather an attitude than thinking, a limiting preconception put in practice. Thinking within artificial unquestioned barriers is more of an ideology.

AspieringHuman

My NT partner is always saying I just need to build my resiliency, but if you ask me I am, and have always been, pretty damn resilient. I would not had made it this far if I hadn't been. Some of my strengths are also, at times, my weaknesses. It just depends on if I am neglecting my physical and relational needs for the task or special interest, or addressing my needs in tantum (which is very, VERY hard to do). So, some strengths for me are:
  • Determination
  • Creativity
  • Systems analysis
  • Hyper-focus
  • Passion
  • Hyper-sensitivity
  • Being silly
  • Childlike
  • Stubbornness

I am, and have always been, pretty damn resilient. I would not had made it this far if I hadn't been. Some of my strengths are also, at times, my weaknesses. It just depends on if I am neglecting my physical and relational needs for the task or special interest,

This quote could have been about me. We are going through continuous hidden struggle, every day, every hour. I feel we don't emphasise enough how resilient, resourceful and stoic we are. This is so important to say!

For myself, since my diagnoses, when I understood the dynamic of my ASC and my ADHD, I learned to forgive myself for not living up to my own highest expectations and to choose, to prioritise. I accepted that I can't spin 36 plates at once, however strong and able I consider myself to be. I have to choose the plates I am going to spin and be OK with some of the plates falling down. That's tough.

Definitely
  • Determination
  • Resilience

I relate to that. I have childish preoccupations, like I love Christmas, going on holiday, eating cake...
I think I tamed my inner child just enough to appear mature when it is supposedly necessary.

Being explorative is another positive of being childlike.
There are a few people here having curiosity and adventure in their username, there must be something in it.

AspieringHuman

This quote could have been about me. We are going through continuous hidden struggle, every day, every hour. I feel we don't emphasise enough how resilient, resourceful and stoic we are. This is so important to say!

For myself, since my diagnoses, when I understood the dynamic of my ASC and my ADHD, I learned to forgive myself for not living up to my own highest expectations and to choose, to prioritise. I accepted that I can't spin 36 plates at once, however strong and able I consider myself to be. I have to choose the plates I am going to spin and be OK with some of the plates falling down. That's tough.

Definitely
  • Determination
  • Resilience

I have to admit, at first I thought "Wow that's impressive! Spinning 36 plates at once! How???", but then I realized you meant metaphorical plates, right? LOL

Hannah1

It important that we encourage children and young people to continue playing and learning what they want to achieve in life and succeed with what they want to do to the best of their ability because people with autism are very clever.

Margot

Administrator
Great graphic, however attention to detail featuring in the first line suggests there is still room to highlighting the positives of autistic traits and identifying additional strengths.

What about
  • systemic approach
  • independent thinking
  • natural remedy to group think
  • visual-spacial stregths
  • visualisation
  • systematising - what is a better word for that?

We had someone mentioning being child like

Thunderchild

well that is what I am told, there are an umbrella of conditions that occur together called specific learning disabilities. This would be why when you have met one autistic person you have met one autistic person. Each person will have a unique combination of conditions with one being probably more dominant. This is what the dyslexia person told me that assesed me. It also makes sense. I know two people that are at least diagnosed with Aspergers and they are quit different from each other. The one that also has ADHD is actually the one that will be outside her house bang on the time we arranged for her lift and will get "the arse" if i am not. The other one that also has discalculia will never be ready and we just tell her 10 minutes before the actual time we need to be driving away with her in the car and then sit and wait for her to get ready.

Margot

Administrator
The one that also has ADHD is actually the one that will be outside her house bang on the time we arranged for her lift and will get "the arse" if i am not. The other one that also has discalculia will never be ready and we just tell her 10 minutes before the actual time we need to be driving away with her in the car and then sit and wait for her to get ready.
Oh lol. At different stage of my life and in different context I could have been both of these people. We learn to cope and overcome the weaknesses.

But it is a good point, what are strengths of people with ADHD?
Of people with Dyslexia?