Autistic burnout article

WayneUtify

windows live movie maker free download for vista how to find corner frequency from bode plot used volvo c70 convertible for sale florida dharti kahe pukar ke bhojpuri film song download the hunger games movie free online streaming grim out or keeping mr bean new episodes 2017 the cruise bridge blown up in true lies movie basic instinct 2 tamil dubbed movie free download oh my friend movie songs free download mp3 sony ericsson vivaz pro u8i games free download https://au.ariesaukith.site/171.html when it's at night korean drama free download air jordan 3 retro 88 uk release date nokia e71 software applications apps free download 24 oras oct 27 2016 full episode grand theft auto 5 uk release date
download data recovery software for windows 7 best indie movies of 2017 so far emergency couple episode 4 subtitle indonesia drama korea auto combo mu season 6 free download the boy next door jennifer lopez full movie online perturbed stoical telugu movies in hindi dubbed free download hd kis kisko pyaar karoon full movie watch online dailymotion movies in the park little rock 2013 bombe adsonu drama kannada songs free download ashampoo cd dvd burning software free download https://c1.chrissiehadwinkyat.site/123.html kundi mat khadkao raja did season 5 maharaja lawak mega 2012 minggu 5 watch online hanazakari no kimitachi e episode 1 youtube house md season 6 episode 11 cucirca sony vegas pro 10 download 32 bit windows xp
glee regionals season 4 full performance new directions cg tutsplus cinema 4d tutorials vol 1 watch home and away online free season 1 episode 1 download the walking dead season 3 episode 6 full league 1 team of the season 2011 prefab under attack season 4 the vampire diaries free episodes what movies has dust in the wind been in schaum's outline series theory and problems of laplace transforms free download street fighter 2 v episode 12 vf personajes de la serie cosas de casa https://bl.brennanrolfmome.site/103.html american dad season 2 episode 2 online nagin 2 january 2017 full episode colors tv man for all seasons al stewart lyrics we are family full movie hd download true blood trailer season 6 episode 6
the walking dead no sanctuary watch online proteus software free download for windows 8 press release for a new business samples watch naruto shippuden episode 329 online free watch jaya plus tv live online free liturgical close at hand ghost rider 2007 movie in hindi download half of a yellow sun review guardian film what channel is idiot abroad season 3 on operation flashpoint cold war crisis download missions les mis movie red and black lyrics https://et.alexisxerxesmace.site/149.html 1997 fuga da new york blu ray recensione game of thrones season 4 ep 2 watch online felhok folott harom meterrel 2 resz teljes film magyarul tera term pro free download windows xp rock and roll hall of fame 25th anniversary concert dvd

Jennilee

This is an old (2020) article but for those of you who haven't seen it, I think it's excellent.
Yes, pacing ourselves and doing less (instead of forcing ourselves to continue, often coupled with lots of masking) makes sense.

Overall, I find it surprising how little literature on burnout exists, given the frequency with which it's experienced. I like the work of Kieran Rose, Kristy Forbes and Dora Raymaker, but most of the information I can find is merely descriptive, without much in the way of ideas on how to help or support.

"There are countless narratives of autistic adults that describe the act of camouflaging leading to periods of autistic burnout, which often incorporate extreme exhaustion, anxiety, depressive symptoms, and suicidal ideation, and are characterized by a drastic decline in capacity to function for days, months, or even years."

And this latter comment is deeply troubling to me, coming from a family in which this has been experienced a LOT. Yes, we can do less, adjust our expectations (of self and others) plus support by maintaining a calm, nurturing, safe environment - low demand, low arousal. But what if it does run to years? Much of what I can find describes burnout as episodic, with people generally emerging after a few days or weeks. Is there anything, anything at all, for families in which it's, say, getting to the 10 year mark?

OhIdontknow

Yes, pacing ourselves and doing less (instead of forcing ourselves to continue, often coupled with lots of masking) makes sense.

Overall, I find it surprising how little literature on burnout exists, given the frequency with which it's experienced. I like the work of Kieran Rose, Kristy Forbes and Dora Raymaker, but most of the information I can find is merely descriptive, without much in the way of ideas on how to help or support.

"There are countless narratives of autistic adults that describe the act of camouflaging leading to periods of autistic burnout, which often incorporate extreme exhaustion, anxiety, depressive symptoms, and suicidal ideation, and are characterized by a drastic decline in capacity to function for days, months, or even years."

And this latter comment is deeply troubling to me, coming from a family in which this has been experienced a LOT. Yes, we can do less, adjust our expectations (of self and others) plus support by maintaining a calm, nurturing, safe environment - low demand, low arousal. But what if it does run to years? Much of what I can find describes burnout as episodic, with people generally emerging after a few days or weeks. Is there anything, anything at all, for families in which it's, say, getting to the 10 year mark?
I can relate to your last paragraph. In my case autistic burnout has been going on for years! with brief periods of calm. Those of us who are used to masking might find it difficult to say no to a new project or a new activity when we seem to be "idle" or "available" in the eyes of our families or peers. We should resist the expectation to keep moving and doing, and just rest.

Jennilee

Yes, I find it enormously difficult. From the inside and for myself it feels as though more space, calm and stability are required, open-endedly. Yet, in my role as parent and looking from the outside I find myself at a loss. It feels as though family relationships are lost or on hold (although I know that, on a deeper level, they persist and, I hope, are being nurtured by giving space and a safe, low demand environment) and also that, as years and years go by, irreplaceable chunks of youth are being taken away by this. It feels tragic to me, I don't know what more to do and the general information I can find seems to peter out when it comes to living with this in the very long term. My fear is of a younger adult coming out of burnout as an older adult and sinking straight into depression due to the loss of those young years. :(

Hi
I have experienced burnout a few times in my life. The longest and average is 2 years. The shortest was 7 weeks, but by this point I had received an autism diagnosis. I knew what it was and what I had to do to get myself out of it quick!
I work with autistic adults and I would say the average is 2 years. I work with people on putting strategies in place to recognise what is happening and doing every to reduce input.
Reducing sensory input also appears to be crucial. Limiting meltdowns appears to be key to reducing burnout.
Managing spoons is key

Jennilee

Yes, I would love to hear what helped. But also I'm very interested in how families might help or support family members in chronic burnout who wouldn't engage with anyone outside the family, indeed barely engage with anyone inside the family - kind of deep "hikikomori" states which MH services might label as "catatonia" or even "hebephrenia" (a defunct category, I know, but one which has been mentioned to us by a professional).

Can you share what worked for you?
Yes first thing I do when I know one is coming is cut social media. The thought of all those notifications and conversations is just added pressure. I limit contact with family and friends. I tell work I will be working from home. I limit any social interactions I can.
I limit sensory input. Wear sunglasses/ear plugs/baseball cap.
I wear tight fitting clothes so that I am getting proprioceptive feedback.
Have a look at the “Aspergers Funnel” video on YouTube. I know tons of people who have said it has helped them get to grips with things.
This is a good Autism version of the spoon theory… https://musingsofanaspie.com/2014/10/15/conserving-spoons/amp/
Basically if you start off a day/week on negative spoons it’s going to edge you towards burnout and more meltdowns.
Since getting an understanding of sensory/information input and energy accounting I really do have a better grip on my life. Albeit not as hectic and a bit boring at times but I’d rather that than another burnout any day.
Hope this helps