Autism and Work

Rechnin

The complaint needs to be put in as I have made 40+ errors in about six months and I have been told this is unacceptable. I am on a 98% accuracy target which means more than one error in a week means I have failed. I have brought up that the instructions are unclear, the marking has been done by three different people in three different ways and with no consistancy between the marking.

I been given Read/Write and Dragon and Mindmapping software, a reduction in my target numbers and counciling. They failed to put this in place the first time around (it took almost two years for the counciling but took credit for it) and only six weeks in to my current role.

In the last 6 weeks I have started providing feedback totalling 250+ items returned for unclear instructions, in one week I fed back more than 40 items. I broached this issues and was told "We cant just change everything for you." and in terms of the instructions "I need to read between the lines."

I then had an OHC review where they advised I should be given a 'suitable' queue and be left to concentrate on that queue only to be told "Its only an advisory, we dont have to do any of it."

I also had a charity called Spectrum E who were willing to negocitae on my behalf, they emailed 5 times with not reply, I asked my TL if she had an contact from them and she denied it but then said doewn the line "I didn't know who they were at the time." so just ignore them.

As a result of all this, I have been called in to several meetings regarding my performance and wether I can continue on this queue, most of the information was leading and I was asked to give only yes or no answers. This has been refered back and may go to Not Fit For Work and I am STILL awaiting a response. Further, when these have been held my TL has had a senior manager in them and I have had BOTH of them covering themselves and backing each other up.

On top of all this, this is the SECOND time all this has happened in three years, all of the above had been previous used against me when the same was done in my previous role.

Its obviously time I need to find somewhere else, but, I don't see why I should have to move on due to what is rank incompitence.

Rechnin

No advise at all, this is the problem, despite all the fine words when it come to actually doing something no one want to get involved. A situation where a big company is treating a disabled staff member like they are.

Margot

Administrator
You need reasonable adjustments. This means you need to contact Access to Work yourself and have a work coach plus co-coacing sessions with your manager. You also need to start using the software you were given. These are your reasonable adjustments and you need to use them, otherwise it will turn against you.

Rechnin

You have missed the point about the software, it has no use in the work I am doing and has soley be given to me, for the second time, as a tick box to make it look like the company has done something. And, as I said before, my employers wont speak to anyone who is appointed on my behalf, so, I am not sure what use Access to Work will be. I need someone who can force the issue.

Margot

Administrator
The software will help with spelling mistakes, I obviously don't know what mistakes are relevant to your job, but if it is spelling, and they gave you the software, you should insist that they integrate it with your work. You don't need an intermediary to contact Access to Work, it is done by yourself online. Their recommendations will demonstrate that your employer has not done reasonable adjustments, as you seem to suggest that for the moment their position is they did. When Access to Work recommend something, it is very difficult for the employer to argue that adjustments are not reasonable. It will count against them if you go to tribunal.

Rechnin

But, again, this is my point. I don't type anything, I don't write anything, all I do is attach files to each other. Two of the sets of software have no use in my role and the other has no realy use in a work environment but are constantly used as examples that they have put something in place to help me, it's a box ticking exercise. I will look in to Access to Work again. They have already had advisory from their own OHC department to find a suitable role and leave me on that role and they say they didn't have to follow any of it.

Last edited:

Margot

Administrator
Access to Work will make recommendations that are really useful and it will demonstrate that your employer has not done RA. Apply online.

Margot

Administrator
I understand that your employer is trying to argue that they did reasonable adjustments and are unhelpful moving towards capability procedure. You need to pin them down that they did not implement any RA , and Access to Work will achieve that. Sell access to work co-coaching to them to better understand each other.

Rechnin

Access to Work have even replied to me and I am STILL in the process of getting my Grievance heard. This is ridiculous! And, as I jave said, any advise they have been given by OHC and ER thye have simply discounted as "We dont have to follow any of it".

Rechnin

So... my Grievance has been rejected, they are claiming that the care the have out in place is all they have and can't do anything else.

So, after all that, I am now looking for a new job!

Rechnin

I am sorry to hear that. You need to prioritise your mental health, take care of yourself.
Have you had an assessment from Access to Work?
Its been coming for some time now, but, it is so frustrating and no-one seems to care. Since my diagnosis I have had no real in-wrok support and seemingly no-one is able to step in on my behalf. My fear is it will just be the same now wherever I go.

Sadly, my typing above was terrible, nut, Access to Work wouldn't help me.