Advice re lack of employer support

VPUK

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with autism this year (at 33 years old) and told my employer about a month ago. I explained to the company some of the difficulties I may face, due to my autism.

At the time they spoke to me, they said they were more than happy to discuss any difficulties I face further, although I find this hard as I am still discovering if the difficulties I face are due to the autism and what I need to support me.

I explained that I may need extra time to process changes. The company gave me 3 days to process the change of returning to work and when I said this was too short, told me that they felt I had enough time.

I also explained regarding preferring to communicate via email, rather than verbally, as I can read the email back etc, however my manger said that she prefers telephone calls and would set these calls up weekly to discuss any issues.

I feel that I am not being listened to and not supported and am unsure what I can do about this.

I am currently signed off due to stress (stemming from difficulties from my autism not being supported correctly).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

T5Owner

I would suggest asking your manager to refer you to occupational health (if you have a department within you business) or seek out a local occupational health department in the health system.
It should not be so, but I hope that your manager may listen more to a health professional.

Rechnin

This often doesn't help, I was refered to OHC and ER and they both offered advise on for my employer to say they don't have to follow any of the advise.

T5Owner

This often doesn't help, I was refered to OHC and ER and they both offered advise on for my employer to say they don't have to follow any of the advise.
I would look into that, if you are diagnosed and the advice is about reasonable adjustments that level the playing field for you to carry out your day to day activities then it could be said that them not following the advice is contrary to the disability/Autism act.

VPUK

I have an occupational health appointment in a few weeks so that will hopefully be positive!

Margot

Administrator
I also explained regarding preferring to communicate via email, rather than verbally, as I can read the email back etc, however my manger said that she prefers telephone calls and would set these calls up weekly to discuss any issues.

I feel that I am not being listened to and not supported and am unsure what I can do about this.

I am currently signed off due to stress (stemming from difficulties from my autism not being supported correctly).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
I would advise reading the part on the Help tab - >>Employment>>Reasonable adjustments

I would advise against contacting Occupational Health, they work for the employer and would be of little help.

Contact Access to Work as soon as possible, yourself. Ask for a needs assessment.

Think also of reframing your autism positively, if you tell them them you have problems, they will gladly write them down and use against you. Read the 'Reasonable adjustments' bit on the Help tab.

The weekly phone call with the manager means there will not be writen evidence. Make notes after each phone call of what was discussed and put it in an email to them shortly after.. Get Access to Work recommend that you need weekly emails from your manager.